Being on the other side of the camera, we always have a blast during engagement sessions! It’s the first time we get to really hang out with our couples (for more than just coffee) – I always think of it like a double date! That said, we know it can be nerve-wracking! Most people have never done this, and don’t know what to expect. The last thing we want is for anyone to feel awkward! Our goal is to enable our couples to have as much fun as we do. We want to our sessions to be simple: just fun times, hanging with your honey! To ease those nerves, here are five easy ways to prep for your engagement session!!
1. Leave earlier than you think you should: Sunlight is our very best friend!! In fact, as natural light photographers, sunlight is literally the most important part of the day. We love to end our sessions with that beautiful glowy light of golden hour! For this reason, we plan every engagement shoot to be a 1.5 – 2 hours before sunset. These are usually some of the best shots because our couples have gotten relaxed, learned our processes, and look their best! If we end up starting a shoot late, we run the risk of losing light and having to cut things short. Giving yourselves wiggle room will save you when you inevitably run into some ATX traffic or have trouble finding parking! Plus you’ll save yourself the worry, and feel relaxed for the whole session!
2. Have Your Second Outfit Ready – We always recommend having at least two outfits for your engagement shoot. Our couples usually start with a more casual, ‘every day look’, and end with a more dressy and formal outfit! Not only do more formal photos become timeless portraits to treasure for years to come, it’s also a perfect excuse to go out for a date night after! The thought of your grandchildren stumbling upon those photos one day and admiring how handsome and beautiful you looked is why we do what we do! For most locations, we’ll be walking far from where we originally parked, so bring some flats or walking shoes! Make sure your other outfit is packed and ready to go, including any jewelry or accessories. And don’t forget shoes!
3. Don’t Forget the Ring! – About halfway through the session, it’s your beautiful engagement ring’s time to shine! I’ll get a few detail shots around the venue! Sometimes this is will happen during the outfit change or I’ll have AJ take over for a bit while I sneak away. So make sure your ring is in tip-top shape. We even recommend getting it cleaned to get that extra sparkle!
4. Plan A Date! – Okay, this tip really isn’t for the session itself, but we think it’s just as important! You two will already be all dressed up and have been having fun already…why not keep the party going! Wedding planning can get so stressful, we think your session is a perfect excuse to spend some alone time together! So take the rest of the night to have fun and relax! You two deserve it!!
5. Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff – In all of the prepping and thinking ahead, it’s really easy to forget the whole point of the session: to celebrate your only time as fiancés! This chapter of your life is just as special as the one that is to come! Years from now, you won’t remember that your nails weren’t done or that your lipstick faded a little. You’ll look back and remember the anticipation, the love, and the excitement of this season in your life! The best advice we can give is to relax, laugh a lot, and we’ll take care of the rest!
Can’t wait to get all of our wonderful 2019 couples in front of our cameras this year for their engagement shoots!! And can’t wait to share them all here!